Skip to main content

Free Read Alert!

Halloween is fast approaching and I'm feeling inspired. It's a time for chills and thrills as well as celebration in my home. My baby sister was born on Halloween. She has mixed emotions about it but I love it. It's all the more reason to get into the holiday. For that reason alone, I would like to present a free chapter of Dark Forest: Beware of Nightfall. Enjoy the read!

Dark Forest: Beware of Night Fall
By Veronica L. Anderson

Chapter One

“Artez, I don’t see why we have to go all the way to the woods to spend quality time together.” Nina said frustrated at the situation. She was not one to go roughing it for no good reason. “For the last time, we are not going to be in the woods. We’re going to be in a cabin.” Artez said as he turned onto Byvine Road, which would take them straight to his parent’s cabin. It had been a long time since he’d spent time at the cabin. He hoped that being there again wouldn’t dredge up memories of what he’d seen that night as a kid. He was older now and he knew that what he’d seen that night must have been a bad dream. No one else had seen a thing but on some level, he believed what he’d seen, still he knew it couldn’t be true, couldn’t have been real.
“Oh! This is your parent’s cabin? It’s nice.” Nina said as the cabin came into view. The cabin was more than what she’d expected. It was beautiful. It reminded Nina of something she’d seen in a movie. The cabin sat nestled among the trees, it was a two story structure, fashioned in deep wine-colored wood. Nina guessed that it was a sort of red wood. There was a porch with two rocking chairs and a small dining table that sat between. She imagined Artez’s parents sitting there watching the sun set. Would she and Artez do that same thing some day? She hopped out of the car. She could barely wait to see the interior of the cabin.
“Do you like it?” Artez asked as he unloaded their supplies. “I love it! Where are the keys?” Nina asked while heading towards the cabin door. Artez laughed as he stepped around her and pushed the door open. “It’s not locked. I came up yesterday to make sure everything was ready.” “Ready for what, Tez?” Nina asked as she stepped across the threshold. “For us baby.” Nina was in awe. The place was magnificent. The walls were shiny and covered with pictures of men and dogs in various hunting scenes. Flowers were everywhere. The furnishings were like nothing she had ever seen before. There was a large fireplace with wood stacked neatly inside. A beautiful rug covered the center of the floor. An antique looking coffee table sat atop of it. A smaller rug, matching the other, lay in front of the fireplace. For a brief moment, she pictured her and Artez lying there in front of a roaring fire. Above the fireplace were pictures of Artez and his family. Nina walked closer for an inspection of the pictures. One picture in particular caught her eye. Artez was sitting in a chair looking out the window at the forest. “What were you looking at?” Nina asked as Artez carried their groceries into the kitchen. “What are you talking about?” he called from the kitchen. Nina picked up the picture and carried it into the kitchen. “Here, in the picture, what were you looking at?” she asked again. Artez took the picture and looked at it for a moment. “Don’t remember. I was a kid. Who knows what I was looking at?” Artez said as he carried the picture back to the living room.
Nina watched him for a moment and let her attention turn to the kitchen. It was nice. There was a small fridge and a stove. The cabinets as well as the table and chairs looked as if they’d been handcrafted. “Tez, where did you all get this rustic looking furniture?” “We didn’t buy it, if that’s what you’re asking. My grandfather and great-uncle built this place. They made all the furniture too!” he explained as he wrapped her in a hug. “I thought I wouldn’t like it here baby, but it’s nice! Different! But still nice.” “Oh is that so! Just wait until you see the upstairs rooms!” Artez said as she led her back into the living room. “But first, let’s take a look around outside.” “Is there a place where we can swim?” Nina asked with a grin. “Sure! We can go there later. I want to show this trail that my family and I used to use a lot when I was a kid.” “Where is it?” “Not far baby! Remember that we came up here to enjoy ourselves and to spend time together. You know I’ll be leaving soon for college. Baby, we need this time together.” Artez smiled down at her. “I know you’re leaving. It’s all I ever think about. When you got that athletic scholarship, I was happy and sad at the same time. I thought I was going to lose you to some cheerleader type.” “You thought that? Nina, you know that there’s no one else for me. I love you baby. You’re my soul-mate. That’s what this weekend is about baby. I want us to strengthen our bond.” Artez explained as he knelt down and kissed her.
****

Price: $0.99
Please direct your questions and comments in the section below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Reading! Summers Not Over Just Yet!!!!

Summer will end in just a few short weeks but that doesn't that you have to say goodbye to all the warmth the season brings. Here are two books that will keep Summer in your bones all Winter long!!!! Erotica:The Collection and Erotica: Boiling Point

Love Struck?

I had an interesting experience last night. I met a guy who actually gets me! We sat together and talked for hours. When I say hours, I really mean hours. I had to go to work today but I was out with him until four.  Maybe I'm still riding the wave of getting only three hours of sleep, but I'm really feeling him. I was totally pulled in. He was just amazing. I listened to him talk and share things about his life and I was just memorized. The thing is, I met him on a dating/social networking site. We decided to meet in person. Get this, this all happened on the day that I decided this "site" wasn't for me and I was about to delete my account. What is this? Destiny? I think maybe this was love at first site or lust. But I can honestly see myself with this guy. I'm the first one to question and over-analyze things but something is telling that this maybe the real deal! What do you think?

Am I Imagining Things? Or Is He Really Cheating?

I promised myself that if I ever got involved again, that I would play it cool. I have to admit, in the past, I was all too eager to think the worst. Now that I look back, I realize that maybe I had it all backwards. Perhaps my intuition was in overdrive. Every woman should be in tune with her mind, body and soul. If you feel like something fishy is going on, chances are something is actually going on. Now I don't want to cheat anyone out of happiness, but are you really happy when there are so many little things nagging you in the back of your mind? What if you ask questions but get run-around answers? What if you ignore the obvious and live in denial? You keep telling yourself that the storm will blow over. Here's another scenario ... what if you get active?  What if you set out on a mission to protect your heart? What if you open your eyes and see him for who and what he is? How can you protect what’s yours if he is still playing the field? Slow down... really think about